Kansk
Photo:
Kansk
Photo:
Kansk
Photo:

Kansk


Kansk
Kansk

Population: 96,945 inhabitants.
Dialing code: +7 (39161).


Town of Kansk is located in southern Siberia, 247 kilometers to the east of Krasnoyarsk, to the south of the Eastern Sayan mountain ridge.


The climate is continental with short hot summers and long cold winters. Summer temperatures can reach 37°C and drop in winter to minus 51°C. In the winter, the ground freezes to 2.5-3 meters. Annual rainfall is 316 mm. It falls unevenly throughout the year, 81% of precipitation falls in summer. West and Southwest winds are the dominant ones.


The town is located on both banks of the Kan River, so it can be conditionally divided into the right bank and left bank parts. The Kan River is the right tributary of the Yenisei. It originates in the Eastern Sayan at the Piramida Mountain. The river’s length is 574 km; the basin area is 36.9 thousand square kilometers, the flow is tortuous. There are 109 kilometers of the Kan on the territory of Kansky district.


Modern Kansk is one of the largest towns in Krasnoyarsk Krai, a cultural center of the eastern part and a large transport hub. The architecture of the late 19th - early 20th centuries is on the former Korostelyov Square (Bazarnaya). Visit the museum of local lore, which is in the building of the first in the town cinema "Furor", and ancient churches (the Church of Our Lady of Kazan, and Holy Trinity Cathedral). There is quite a modern Triumphal Arch, stylized as its predecessor. It was opened in 1905 and destroyed during the Civil War. You can get some fresh air in the pine forest on the right bank of the Kan in the northwestern district of Kansk.


History and culture
18 October 1636 – A stockaded town of Kansk was founded as a fortress defending the sovereign land from nomads at the south border. Constant Russian residents came only in 1717 (22 families of the Belomestnyye Cossacks). In the middle of the 18th century, the town was crossed with Moscow tract, so Kansk became a significant point of transit trade and postal service.


In 1722, the only in Krasnoyarsk county Spasskaya Church was built.
In 1734, Vitus Bering explored the route Krasnoyarsk - Kansk - Tulun for the construction of postal stations.
In 1736, the expedition of G.F. Miller and I.G. Gmelin was passing through Kansk.
In 1804, the stone building of Spassky Cathedral was built.
In December 1822, Kansk became a town.
On 15 February 1897, Railway station took the first passengers.
In 1904, a monument of industrial architecture, the complex of winery, was built in so-called brick style.


During the Civil War in 1918-1920, Kansk was one of the centers of resistance against the White Czechs; the territory of the district was part of Taseyevskaya Partizanskaya Respublika. By the way, being a prisoner of the Red in Kansk, Jaroslav Hasek began writing his cult novel "The Good Soldier Schweik".


In 1941-1945, evacuated textile and tobacco plants and Leningrad orphanage were located in Kansk.
On 4 October 1986, a decree on awarding the town with the Order "Badge of Honor" was signed.


Sights and events
International Kansk video festival is the biggest cinematic event to the east of the Urals. It has been a hallmark of the town for 8 years. The festival of innovative, alternative, avant-garde video art takes place in August. The Grand Prix of Kansk video festival, in contrast to the Cannes Film Festival, is the "Palme secateurs". The festival, which is supported by the Mikhail Prokhorov Foundation, Ministry of Culture of Krasnoyarsk Krai and the administration of Kansk, has been included in the program for the development of cultural tourism in the territory of Krasnoyarsk region. In 2008, "Kansk palm alley" was built in the town of Kansk in honor of the festival.

Our partners