Novosyolovsky district
Photo:Сергей Старцев
Novosyolovsky district
Photo:Наталья Родионова
Novosyolovsky district
Photo:Алексей Снетков
Novosyolovsky district
Photo:Антонина Бондаренко
Novosyolovsky district
Photo:
Novosyolovsky district
Photo:Сергей Старцев

Novosyolovsky district


Novosyolovsky district
Novosyolovsky district

Administrative center: village of Novosyolovo.
Population: 15,835 inhabitants.
Dialing code: +7 (39147).

Novosyolovsky district is just 200 kilometers from Krasnoyarsk, along both banks of the Krasnoyarsk reservoir (most popular vacation place among the locals). The coastline area of the district is about 260 km and there are clean pebble beaches, bright woods and plenty of campsites almost everywhere. The left bank area is a sloping forest-steppe. The right is rocky with dense forests. A ferry from Novosyolovo to Ulazy is the only transportation between the two parts of the district during the warm season. In winter, cars up to 11 tons can drive via ice crossing. In spring and late autumn, passengers are transported by An-2. The right bank of the reservoir abounds with many small and relatively large rivers (the Anash, the Koma, the Ubey and the Sisim). These rivers are full of fish and perfect for rafting.


The largest bay of the left bank is Izhulsky. Its area separates the borders of Balakhtinsky and Novosyolovsky districts. The water in the Krasnoyarsk reservoir in July is quite warm. In August, there are a lot of strawberries, raspberries and mushrooms near the reservoir. Anashensky forest with its vast sandy beaches, clean air and old pines is a popular place among tourists. There you can find a recreation center, a children's camp and a campsite.

History and culture
The first inhabitants came to this place 36,000 years ago. At different times, here lived Samoyed and Turkic tribes, Mongoloids and Caucasians. Evidences of that are the toponyms, petroglyphs and remains of material culture that archaeologists constantly find. Tourists can take a tour to the local pisanitsy. The most interesting ones are along the right bank: Novosyolovskaya pisanitsa in front of the district center on the coastal cliff Gorodovaya Stena and the pisanitsa on the Maliy Ulaz mountain (1,000 BC – 1,000 AD). The left bank also has one on the Obryv mountain.


The first Russian settlements appeared here in 1722 as small villages of hunters and anglers along the banks of the Yenisei. Novosyolovo village was founded in 1789 and one hundred years later, there were 126 households and 650 residents. The only monument extant from those times is a Trinity church in the Barait village. Most of the ancient villages in the district (about 30) went under water during the flooding of the Krasnoyarsk reservoir’s bed. This is why there is a small number of architectural monuments.


Sights and events
Pallasovo Zhelezo (Pallas iron)
A memorial sign at the site of "Pallas Iron" meteorite was set in 1980 on the slope of Meteoritnaya hill. The lump was found by a blacksmith Yakov Medvedev in 1749. He was keeping it in his yard until 1771. Traveling around the south of the region, an academician P.S. Pallas heard about the discovery of the blacksmith and wanted to buy it, but Medvedev gave the finding for free. He also made special sleds for transportation, as the lump weighed over half a ton. Today the meteorite is exhibited in St. Petersburg Kunstkammera and called "Pallas iron". Its extraterrestrial origin was established only in 1794 by a Czech scientist E. Khladny, the founder of a new science - meteoritics.


Yekaterinisky Bridge
Monument of history, "Kamenniy Bridge", is an engineering building of the 18th century and the only object of such kind to the east of the Urals. The bridge is an arch with a height of 7 m made of sandstone slabs. It was built by an unknown exiled engineer originally from Poland. The monument is 5 km from the Ayeshka village (turn off the M-54 highway at the 248th km).


Archaeological monuments
Markelov Cape (8 km from Novosyolovo) is a funerary complex related to 1 BC – 6 AD (crypts and children's graves) and the early Middle Ages.
"Gornaya Krepost" is a monument of fortification art, related to 1,000 BC, in the Kamyshta tract. This is quite a large complex: fortifications, the remains of houses and corrals, quarries, a burial of the Scythian period.
Tabazhak, a huge Scythian burial ground, is an arc of 1.5 km that has 170 mounds of all the Tagar culture period (7-2 BC.). There is also a two-meter stele with hieroglyphs and a runic inscription.


Nature reserve
Ubeysko-Salbinsky beaver reserve.


Holidays
Every spring (usually in March), the equestrian festival is held on the ice of the Krasnoyarsk reservoir. There are organized competitions that involve three horses, trotters-horses and various contests.


The memory cruise is in August. It is a ferry trip to the places of flooded settlements in Novosyolovsky district. The Day of the village is held in Novosyolovo in July since 2007.


Museums
If you are interested in the history of the district, you can visit local museums. Novosyolovsky museum has materials of archaeological and paleontological excavations. Svetlolobovsky museum has the documents and things of the Kryukov brothers, exiled Decembrists and interesting expositions that can tell about the life of Siberian villages.
Novosyolovsky museum of history, Novosyolovo village, 11A Teatralnaya Street.
Complex museum of local lore "Rodnik", Svetlolobovo village, 21 Mudrova Street (in the school building), phone number: (39147) 91-3-10.
Museum of local lore, Koma village, Shkolnaya Street (in the school building).

Our partners